Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

8 Years Old and More Awesome Than Ever

8 seems old...really old...like 100 years old.  I can't believe this awesome kids turns 8 today.  
 What can I say...she's awesome!  And at so many things.  She is truly a friend to all she meets.  She's responsible beyond her years.  She does things when I ask...the first time I ask.
 She's a great example to her siblings.  She's chosen to be baptized.  She chooses to read her scriptures and to pray.  She loves to learn and read and she loves to share her knowledge.  She quite often surprises me with facts that I'm sure I learned at one point, but have since forgotten.  She's talented.  She's smart.  She's kind.  She's forgiving.  And just look at that smile!
 The very first time I held her in my arms, I recognized her.  I knew her. I remember looking and her beautiful face and I finally took a huge sigh of relief and said, "I've been looking for you...Here you are."
 I also remember feeling calm and peaceful because I would be able to enjoy every minute of her childhood. I could wait, watch and participate in her childhood because her baptism wasn't for another hundred years.
 Now here we are, a hundred years later and those feelings have been replaced by panic and dread because SHE'S 8!!  8 seems old...
 And before I know it, she'll be 18 and then 28, which means I'll be 39 (because I'm never going to be older than 39) and she'll be married.  But if I could steal one of her birthday wishes today, it would be this...That I live the right kind of life so that one day, I will be there when her daughter turns 8, maybe even when her granddaughter turns 8.  Because perhaps, I won't have everything I've ever wanted in my life, but I will be able to remember, to see the childhood of Mikayla lived again and again.  And I'll be able to wait and watch and participate again and again. 
And what could be better than that?  

Mikayla, I love you.  I LOVE watching you grow and become more and more awesome every day.  I can't wait to see what's coming for you in this life.  You make my job easy.  Happy Birthday, my sweet girl.

3 comments:

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

She's so sweet. Lovely post. I always love reading the way you feel about your kids, Merilee!

Christian and Jennifer said...

She is such a wonderful girl! Happy Birthday, sweet girl! Alas, your lousy Aunt Jennifer thought Aunt Sandy's birthday was the 20th and yours was the 22nd, but she was WRONG. There is something wrong in her brain that makes her mess up anything birthday/Merilee-related.

Christian and Jennifer said...

Oh, and I forgot my very own mother on her birthday. What kind of a person am I?!!?!?!?!?