Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Raising Readers

I always wanted to have at least one kid who loves to read. So far, I have two. Gweny is just starting to learn, but she tries so hard and falls asleep while sounding out the words to her favorite stories or looking at the pictures and making up her own stories for the more complicated books.

This is Mikayla with a book and a flashlight.  Tweny-four years ago, it would have been me under there.

She's reading one of my favorites..."Dragon Slippers" by Jessica Day George.

I hope that Gweny continues to follow her sister through the wardrobe and the looking-glass, across the Bridge to Terabithia. I hope she meets and identifies with Anne (with an "E"). I hope she comes to love Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy March and Laura and Mary Ingalls. I hope she'll be able to search for and find her own secret garden and find the escape from this harsh world we live in through the characters and stories in her books. Keep reading, Gweny. You'll be amazed at the things you learn and the people you meet.

4 comments:

Nate said...

I want to raise readers so bad! Cam is doing great with reading, but it just doesn't hold his attention yet. I hope that changes! I am hoping the girls will be more into it!

Nate said...

This is arney...

Jodi said...

Happiness! I love that your girls are readers. We should have a reading party.

Christian and Jennifer said...

I love this post! You are a wonderful sister, mother, and friend, my darling girl!