Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

OoRah!

Josh and I are having a blast here in California! We came on a school trip for Josh's school to the Marine Recruiting Center in San Diego. The point is to teach educators about the Marines so that they can help direct the students who aren't sure what they are going to do with their lives. So, we arrived here yesterday and this morning, the loaded us up on a bus and when the bus stopped, a guy got on the bus and SCREAMED at us! He was a drill instructor and we got to experience what the first two minutes are like for a new Marine Recruit. We had to run off the bus, fall into formation, learn how to stand at attention, and fall in line, while being yelled and screamed at by scary drill instructors. It was so amazing. Then, they led us into this room where they said that that was the real first two minutes of Marine Boot Camp.

This is a picture of our drill instructor.
Then...
They brought us to this field where we learned some very basic marial arts, just some basic punches and we practiced in pairs with these big pad things and this drill instructor got right in my face and kept yelling, "PUNCH THROUGH HER! HARDER!!!! HARDER!!!!"
Then...
We went over they told us to put on some Marine pants, a shirt, vest, helmet and handed us a rubber rifle. We watched as four Marines worked through this obstacle course. Then, we had the option to try it and it turned out to be a lot of fun. I even made one of the drill instructors laugh when I accidently ran past a dummy without stabbing him with my rifle and the drill instructor yelled "GO BACK!! GO BACK!! YOU MISSED ONE!" and I was too tired, so I said, "Aww, just let that one live!!" Here are a few pictures. I'm sure I'll have more tomorrow.

9 comments:

Christian and Jennifer said...

You are one scary looking marine. I just wet my pants a little.

John said...

I love that you're kind enough or lazy enough to let the dummy live! This sounds like so much fun!-Jill

Williamson Fam said...

Wow, how fun for you guys! I want to do that...but just for pretend...

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

That sounds so fun! I love the pics of you in the gear--you look so cute:).

Becca Jane said...

Wow Erm, what a fun trip! Call me when you get home!

Jim, Becky, and Kids said...

Wow! Sounds like a pretty wild time. It sure doesn't make you envy those who really are in boot camp!

~*Leeann and Jay*~ said...

Good for you, not killing an man!!! ha thats hilarious!!!! looks like fun but scary at the same time. If those mean men were screaming at me I probably would have cried!!!

Abe said...

That brings back some memories...

I don't miss that place! It looked like fun though.

Stacy said...

You look like a natural, especially your face in the third one! Did you ever consider joining the military? I always wanted to be Army...