Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Israel!!!

I had such a great time in Israel. If anyone ever has the chance to go, you should. It was an amazing experience. I loved every minutes of it. Here are the people I went with. This is Josh's family, his mom, his step-father, his brother, Roger and his wife, Molly, and Josh's step-sister Stacy and her husband, Joe. I had such a great time. Here are just a few pictures of the places we saw. The spacing is weird because its annoying me. Sorry.






The Old City Jerusalem


Here you can see the Dome of the Rock, which was built in the same place that King Solomon's temple and the second temple were built. I was standing on the Mount of Olives when I took these pictures.
Some Israeli Soldiers


They were everywhere and they all had huge machine guns.





Kendra


We ran into Kendra, our friend from our old Colorado Springs ward. It was totally random. She was actually one of Josh's old seminary students.





The City of David
We were able to take a tour of the City of David. It was amazing to be able to walk where Jesus actually walked. Hereis a road that remains by the Pool of Siloam, where we know that Jesus spent some time.








and here is a road that led from the pool up to the temple.




The Wailing Wall





The Garden Tomb


Some believe that the Garden Tomb was where Jesus' body was buried after he was crucified. It was a beautiful garden. Here you can see pictures of the trench where the stone would have been rolled and the actual place where his body would have been laid.






The Garden of Gethsemane


The Roman city Schitopolis


The Jordan River




Capurnaum and the house of Peter






The Sea of Galilee




The possible site of the Sermon on the Mount


Shushi, the Camel






MASADA


Masada was a very cool, but kind of creepy place. We started out by going in a cable car up to the top of this
Ok, so the story goes like this. In 70 AD the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the Second Temple. The few Zealots who remained fled to Masada, a fortress built by King Herod on the top of a huge plateau. They lived in the fortress and held out for three years.This is a picture of the snake path. Obviously, anyone climbing it to attack the fortress would be an easy target, so instead the Roman camped out and built battering rams and other weapons. The dark brown circles are what remains of the Roman camps. When the Romans realized that their battering rams and their catapults would not reach the fortress, they began to build a ramp that lead up to the fortress. This is what remains of the ramp.When the Zealots in the fortress realized that they could not win against the Roman army, the men killed their wives and their children. They killed one another, until ten remained. They found ten pottery sheards with one name written on each. They believe that these were used to cast lots to see who would have to be last man standing, either to finish himself off, or to face the Roman army alone.





Me in the Dead Sea












This is the cave where the first of the Dead Sea Scrolls was found. They think this may be the location where David and Goliath fought.



The Archaeological Dig


On our last day in Israel, we went on a Archaeological Dig. It was really cool.


We started out by going down into this cave and we stared digging.




I think Dean found an ancient b-b-que pit. He unearthed lots and lots of animal bones. I just found a few pieces of broken pottery.




Then, we went up and sifted through our dirt buckets to make sure that we didn't miss anything.






We did. Here is a piece of broken pottery that we found while sifting through the dirt.




Then, they took us through a cave that they has yet to be excavated. We crawled through lots of small holes.



Stacy going through a hole.





Dean going through a hole

Stacy and I felt like we had gone miles underground through the cave, but when we finally emerged, this is how far we were from our starting point. It was funny. The Mediterranean Sea

It was really windy. My hair was out of control!


9 comments:

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

Man, that looks like a great and very cool experience! I love all the pictures--you are a great photographer:). You look so cute in all the pictures too! I love your hair!

Katie said...

I want to go!! That is awesome! So many amazing places!! I'm glad you got to go!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Merilee-- that is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Becca Jane said...

Erm, those are great pictures! You always looked so cute! I wanna ride a camel with you! I can't wait to hang out and hear more about your trip. It's a good thing we didn't come up today though cuz we've both felt awful all day. Love you!

Christian and Jennifer said...

Merilee, it looks like you had an amazing time and some really neat experiences! You do look a little over-dressed in your "me in the dead sea" picture . . . I hope we have the opportunity to go to Israel someday! What a really neat and spiritual experience it must have been.

Scot and Jenny said...

Great pictures. What an awesome trip. I would love to do that someday!

Williamson Fam said...

What great pictures, thanks for sharing it looks like you had a great time.

Chris said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! What an amazing trip that must have been. You look so cute! I'm so happy for you that you got to go! How crazy that you saw Kendra! Hey, we're coming to Utah next week. We'd love to see you guys if you have some time. We'll be there for a while so hopefully we can work something out. Take care!

Shanda said...

What an amazing experience! Looks like you had a lot of fun! I especially like the picture of you on the camel. :)